Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

I was born in the year 1996, this places me in the Millennial generation or Generation Y. In fact we are given many names, as well as are labeled by the generations before us. "Time Magazine released an article titled 'Millennials: the Me Me Me Generation,' which called us lazy, entitled, self-obsessed narcissists." 8 Millennials’ Traits You Should Know About Before You Hire Them. Lydia Abbot. Dec 3. 2013. Web. Lydia Abbot, a fellow Millennial, wrote an article mentioning the positive traits of our generation. The characteristics she outlines are: Multitaskers, Connected, and Tech-Savvy. Also she states that Millennials want: Instant gratification, Work-life balance and flexibility, collaboration, transparency, and career advancement. 

For myself as a Millennial, I would classify myself as a multitasker. Everyday I have to juggle multiple responsibilities and tasks. Though Abbot makes a good point that Millennials "are easily distracted and find social media and texting hard to resist."  For myself  I would say I am not as easily distracted by social media and my smart phone, however it can happen.

Connected: I can attest to the fact that this generation is extremely connected… in the technological world. More and more my generation is losing the ability to connect with people without technology. Human contact is something that scares my generation, more and more for those that are younger. I am among the younger ones, but because of my upbringing I prefer human contact and interaction without technology. I find myself annoyed at my friends who constantly pull out a smart phone while we are having a conversation or prefer to text than call me for long conversations even.  This goes along with my generation being tech-savvy.

Millennials want transparency which means “Millennials want to feel like they have an open and honest relationship with” those who employ them, friends, family, etc. We need people to upfront with us.

As far as career-advancement, I believe with every generation there is more ambition, more drive to go farther in their career. For myself that isn’t something that is a priority for me. All I need is to be financially stable and happy with what I do. That doe not , however, mean I have no drive or ambition for my life. It just means it’s in other areas of my life.

I of course share traits and qualities of millennials but I believe because of my upbringing and different outlook on the world I am set apart.   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment